Quarter 4- Week 1 (3/19 - 3/23)
What Are We Studying?
Reading Focus: Skimming & Scanning (text features, analyzing details & text structure)
Writing Focus: Composing Process & Description Essays
Language Focus: Analysis of Semantic Forms
What Are We Reading, Writing, and Discussing?
Monday: Skim/Scan Introduction & Thematic Discussion
Tuesday: "The Home of the Olive" & "An Oil for Life" (p.10-13)
Wednesday: "A Taste of the Caribbean" (p.15-18)
Thursday: Vocabulary Practice (p. 14 & 19-20)
Friday: Process/Description Paragraph & Quiz
**Quiz on Monday (Vocabulary & Skim/Scan)
What Are We Doing?
- Teacher Think Aloud (text features, vocabulary, text structure, grammar)
- Group Reading with Annotations (central ideas & relevant details)
- Vocabulary Round Table
- Oral and Written Summaries (some w/ textual evidence)
- Formulating Text-Dependent Questions (Bloom's Taxonomy)
- Numbered Heads Together (collaborative learning)
- Checks for Understanding (Kahoot, Quizlet, NewsELA Quiz, Exit Tickets)